Actually, the full title of today’s blog is “The Spirit of Christmas– not just a cheap, high-proof brandy” …Though booze does play a role in boosting this post’s Christmas cheer.
As I was sitting in traffic a couple hours ago, our car being pelted with rain, I remembered the first food hack I ever wrote down for other people. It was back when I was a vegan (which, in all sincerity, was awesome) and I bastardized a number of recipes to come up with a happy, satisfying, decadent, liqueur-infused chocolate chip cookie for Christmas fun. This must have been five years ago, but you can tell my somewhat relaxed approach to cooking hasn’t much changed in that time.
So, while my calzone is in the oven (vegan, incidentally, and almost no fat…let me know if you want the recipe for that one!), I give to you (cheap, high-proof something or other in hand), a tried and true Christmas tradition…
Gradissima’s Vegan Kahlua Chocolate Chip Cookies
(semi-stolen, veganized, and extra-spirited from another recipe)
No Cholesterol, No Trans-Fats, Lots of Yum.
- ½ cup shortening (I use Spectrum Naturals organic shortening)
- ½ cup margarine, softened (I used Willow Run sticks. Earth Balance is also good)
- ¾ cup brown sugar (or just double the white sugar. Whatever.)
- ¾ cup white sugar (I used Florida Crystals)
- 2 eggs worth of EnerG Egg Replacer (I substituted the water in this with Amaretto! )
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of Kahlua (plus 3 tablespoons set aside)
- 1 cup vanilla Silk soymilk (set aside)
- 1 tablespoon vodka or amaretto (optional – set aside)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (or whatever you have around – cashews, almonds, etc)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Soften your butter…(just in case you forgot to)
- Mix your EggReplacer (1 1/2 teaspoon of Egg Replacer plus 2 tablespoons liquid per egg) with a whisk until frothy. (Remember, I had amaretto around, so I used Kahlua and Amaretto –equal parts—for the liquid in the “eggs” mmmmmm….Christmas cheer.)
- Cream together shortening, butter, sugars, and “eggs”
- Add the rest of the ingredients (not the soymilk, vodka, and 3 tablespoons Kahlua that are set aside) and mix well. Spoon and ball the dough and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Pour soymilk, vodka, and 3 tablespoons of Kahlua over ice. Stir, drink and enjoy while waiting for your cookies to bake. Mmmmmmmmm.
- If your cookies burn, repeat step 7.
Have a Merry Christmas, and think of me when you enjoy this recipe!